Triclamp to keg gasket

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Triclamp to keg gasket

Post by kenfyoozed »

Just got these triclamp to keg gaskets from Stpats. They are flat on side and actually wrap around the triclamp fitting. They seem to be silicone and very flexible. These have got to better than the rubber O-rings. I have yet to use, but what do you think?

thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Re: Triclamp to keg gasket

Post by thepatchworkdoll »

Hi Ken
I have one of them gaskets and it is great. About to embark on a 4" bubble cap build. Picking up the 4" pipe tomorrow. Do you mind sharing some info on Aliena. How many caps per plate, distance between plates, downcomer and cup sizes any other info all very much appreciated.
Regards
Thepatchworkdoll
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

kenfyoozed, I'm sure many of us here will be looking forward to hearing how those seals work in a distillation environment... Watch to see whether they swell, get tacky, or get brittle, amongst other tell-tale signs that they don't play well with high temperature high proof alcohol... Definitely nice looking seals...
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

thepatchworkdoll wrote:Hi Ken
I have one of them gaskets and it is great. About to embark on a 4" bubble cap build. Picking up the 4" pipe tomorrow. Do you mind sharing some info on Aliena. How many caps per plate, distance between plates, downcomer and cup sizes any other info all very much appreciated.
Regards
Thepatchworkdoll
I'll have to defer that to KentuckyShinner as he is the one who build it. I'll see if he can post the specifics in the Aliena post.
condensificator
Rumrunner

Post by condensificator »

hillbillystills.com has teflon o-rings for keg to tri-clamp connection.

http://www.hillbillystills.com/PTFE_TEF ... /ptor2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

don't invite the plastic cops into your home, they will bust your ass for EVERY bit of rubber, composite-cork, lead-solder, silicone...and anything else they can find...you don't want to go to plastic prison...
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

st. pats sells ptfe gaskets for the same price as silicone in 2" adjacent pictures near the bottom of the page. http://www.stpats.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. cob
edit; under valves/fittings , sanitary fittings/valves.
be water my friend
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

These gaskets are completely flat on one side, for a triclamp to sankey keg connection. I ordered there before KS listed those teflon 0-rings. Ill try those next .
Mr.Spooky
Distiller

Post by Mr.Spooky »

condensificator wrote:hillbillystills.com has teflon o-rings for keg to tri-clamp connection.

http://www.hillbillystills.com/PTFE_TEF ... /ptor2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

don't invite the plastic cops into your home, they will bust your ass for EVERY bit of rubber, composite-cork, lead-solder, silicone...and anything else they can find...you don't want to go to plastic prison...
sorry dude,, i had to :D :D :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QanYc78Oyqo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
spooky 8)
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
condensificator
Rumrunner

Post by condensificator »

cob wrote:st. pats sells ptfe gaskets for the same price as silicone in 2" adjacent pictures near the bottom of the page. http://www.stpats.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. cob
yes. those will work great if you surgically remove the ridge off of one side of the gasket, then lap with some sandpaper on a hard flat surface, using a ferrule on the still-ridged side as a pressure block. good option if you already have them. but with the teflon o-ring, it's plug-and-play, with no effort and no banging on the door from the plastic patrol.
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

condensificator wrote:
cob wrote:st. pats sells ptfe gaskets for the same price as silicone in 2" adjacent pictures near the bottom of the page. http://www.stpats.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. cob
yes. those will work great if you surgically remove the ridge off of one side of the gasket, then lap with some sandpaper on a hard flat surface, using a ferrule on the still-ridged side as a pressure block. good option if you already have them. but with the teflon o-ring, it's plug-and-play, with no effort and no banging on the door from the plastic patrol.
Thats exactly what i did with the regular gasket, but saw these and thought ill try them, but the teflon o-rings are really the way to go.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I ordered a couple as back-ups and realized unless you take one side down the tri-clamp doesn't fit over them :(
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I recently had a bunch of 3" stainless pipe cut and had 3" ferrules welded to the lengths of pipe. I think they guy that welded the ferrules didn't tack the ferrules in enough spots to ensure that the ferrules didn't pull & warp. Anyways ... I had nothing but PTFE/teflon gaskets. When I connected the pipes and water tested them they all leaked. I disconnected them and put them back together and they would leak 50% of the time. PTFE gaskets work for perfect and brand new fittings with no irregularities though and I've water tested for that myself. New fittings with teflon do not leak though I'm sure some people have had instances where they did leak.

I considered planning or filing down the Tri-Clamp sealing faces in order to make them all flush so that the Teflon gaskets would work, but I decided to give platinum cured silicone gaskets a shot first. They worked flawlessly 100% of the time! PTFE/teflon gaskets cannot tolerate any irregularities in the sealing faces of Tri-Clamp connections. I'm sure that the silicone gasket will work for ya just as they worked with me, but like Rad said ... keep a n eye on them just in case.

Many are recommending using 'envelope gaskets' which are rubber, but lined on the exterior with PTFE/teflon so that the rubber is never exposed. Some guys wrap their rubber gaskets with teflon tape, but an envelope gasket would be more 'plug & play' in my opinion ... plus you don't have to ever worry about wrapping it with teflon tape between uses or removal & reinstallations.